9 Things Your Dog Needs (Hint: They all involve YOU)
1. Time with you. Dogs are pack animals, and YOU are their pack leader. They want nothing more than to spend time with you. Dogs are not meant to live on a chain 24/7 with little human contact. Many dogs become aggressive or excessively timid when kept like that.
2. Your dog needs a healthy, balanced diet.
3. Your dog needs access to clean, fresh water at all times.
4. Your dog needs shelter that will protect against rain, sun, heat, cold and snow.
5. Veterinary care. This includes yearly exam visits, vaccinations,
heartworm prevention, and parasite control. It is critical that puppies
receive their vaccines to protect them from
life-threatening diseases such as the parvovirus.
6. Exercise. Provide playtime for your dog. It will benefit them mentally as well as physically.
7. Basic grooming. This is especially important for long-haired dogs whose fur can become matted. This can be very painful, as well as cause skin problems.
8. Obedience training. Some basic obedience training can make your dog much more pleasant to be around.
9. Love. Always remember that dogs love you unconditionally and want to please you. Problem dogs are often those who are not socialized properly or were neglected/abused. A dog's personality is only partially determined by genetics. The rest is up to us.